Govt. of India has launched Smart City Mission in June 2015 with objective to provide core infrastructure and give a decent quality of life to its citizens, a clean and sustainable environment and application of ‘Smart’ solutions.
Basis of Smart City Selection (100 cities)
- Short listing of cities by State population more than 1 million
- The challenge round for selection by MoUD Based on Smart City Proposal submitted by the cities.
- Comparatively highest score achieved by the city shall be selected as a Smart city as phase manner.
Selected SMART Cities of State:
- Surat , Ahmedabad , Vadodara, Rajkot, Gandhinagar & Dahod
|Components & Activities:
- E- governance & citizen services
- Energy Management
- Waste management
- Urban Mobility
- Water management
- IoT/ ICT
||6 cities as mentioned above with approximately 1,35,08, 850 population
- The implementation of the Mission at the City level will be done by a Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) created for the purpose.
- The SPV will plan, appraise, approve, release funds, implement, manage, operate, monitor and evaluate the Smart City development projects
- Every Smart City will receive Rs.100 cr. (max Rs. 500) Cr. from Central Government and matching grant shall be issued by state government per year for mission period.
Area Based Development
- Retrofitting (City Improvement ): Development of an existing built up area greater than 500 acres (2 sq. Km.); existing structure largely to remain intact
- Redevelopment (City Renewal): Replacement of existing built up environment in an area of more than 50 acres (0.2 Sq. Km.)
- Green field (City Extension): Development of vacant area of more than 250 acre (1 Sq. Km.)
Pan-city initiative in which at-least one Smart Solution is applied City-wide
In the State Gujarat, 341 projects amounting more than Rs. 13,000 Cr. have been taken up amongst which 205 projects have already been completed.
Based on the performance, the State Gujarat has been consistently secured place in top five performing States in the nation. Moreover, all 06 cities have secured their place in the list of top 50 Smart Cities and 02 cities are in the top five performing Smart Cities of the Nation.
Smart Cities of the state Gujarat have received 09 awards during the Award Ceremony held by the MoHUA for the year 2020. Surat city has been awarded as the ‘Best City’ jointly with the City Indore. Moreover, Ahmedabad City has been awarded for the category of ‘Smart Cities Leadership Award’ and Vadodara City has been awarded for the category of ‘Project Award for Governance’.